MESSAGE FROM TA / TW / GOVT:
To the WA Tennis Community; our Members, Clubs, Volunteers, and Coaches,
Instruction to cease, temporarily, tennis activity in Western Australia.
Under the WA Government’s Preventative Restriction of Activities Direction a person must refrain from undertaking or engaging in an affected activity. An affected activity includes a gathering of two or more people, who do not ordinarily reside at the same premises, for the purposes of participating in a sporting activity. As a result of these new measures, Tennis West is advising that all Tennis Clubs, Club Activities and Coaching Activities must cease operations immediately:
- All tennis clubs and centres are to close until further notice
- All tennis programmes and coaching be cancelled, including one-on-one coaching
- All club, association and social play be cancelled until further notice
- All public court hire bookings to cease
Please note that under the Public Health Act 2016 (WA), it is an offence for a person to fail, without reasonable excuse, to comply with any of these directions, punishable by a fine of up to $20,000 for individuals, and $100,000 for bodies corporate. Attached is a poster you can display at your facility. We know our community loves our sport and that many people are looking for ways to remain fit and active whilst adhering to very strict social distancing guidelines. We are also acutely aware that this directive will impact the livelihood of our valued tennis coaches. However, this is a government mandate, and needs to be strictly adhered to by our tennis community. Tennis West staff are working remotely to limit contact but are all still available to support you through this challenge:
- Information and resources to support coaches will be sent to all Tennis Australia Coach Members individually and our Coach Development Manager, Sheridan Adams is available when required.
- Your Tennis West representative is available for Clubs and will remain in contact as we try and work our way through this together.
- Contact details are attached.
We are exploring all appropriate options for resuming tennis in a safe way when health officials deem it safe. This pandemic and these exceptional circumstances will pass and we want to work with our partners to ensure tennis is back bigger and better than ever.
This is a challenging time for everyone, please stay home and stay safe.
CEO, Tennis West